Discounts for senior citizens are pretty commonplace, and many places of business offer them. The difficulty is that most don’t openly advertise these deals, so you have to remember to request to make use of them. With all the provisions available, as a senior citizen, you are entitled to such a wide array of discounts that you could be saving hundreds, if not thousands, a year. Here are some senior citizen discounts you may be missing out on.
1. Eating Out
Almost all restaurants have senior citizen discounts – you just have to ask! Of course, there isn’t a particular fixed discount for most eateries and they tend to change as time goes by, so the next time you’re eating out, ask a waiter if they have a promotion for you. Here are some food places that have senior discounts!
- IHOP – 10% discount for those aged 55 and over or a discounted seniors menu
- Denny’s – A free coffee or drink with purchase, or 10% off menu items. 55+ menu has discounted prices
- Subway – 10% discount for those aged 60 and over
- McDonald’s – varying discounts on all drinks for those aged 55 and over
- Wendy’s – varying discounts or free coffee or drink (not speciality drinks)
- Krispy Kreme – 10% discount for those aged 50 and over
- Papa John’s – varying discounts
- KFC – free small drink
- Burger King – 10% discount for those aged 60 and over
- Whataburger – free drink
- The Old Spaghetti Factory – special discounted senior’s menu
- Piccadilly Cafeteria – 10% discount for those with a Prime Time for Seniors card
- Uno Pizzeria and Grill – 25% discount on Wednesdays with a Double Nickel Club membership
- Fazoli’s – special discounted senior’s menu for those aged 62 and over with a Club 62 membership
- Old Country Buffet – varying daily discounts for those aged 55 and over
- Country Kitchen – special Great Senior Menu for those aged 55 and over
- Perkins Restaurants – special Fifty-Five Plus menu for those aged 55 and over
- Friendly’s Restaurants – 10% discount and a free coffee (breakfast) or free small sundae (non-breakfast hours)
- Sizzler – special Honored Guest Menu for those aged 60 and over
- Golden Corral – varying discounts
2. Life Insurance Plans at less than $1 a Day
Life insurance plan premiums go up the older you get, and that can be a real bummer and prevent you from qualifying for an insurance policy. There’s an up to 10% rise in the amounts charged with every year of your life that flies by, so you might have thought that life insurance just wasn’t an option for you.
With that being said, there are life insurance companies that do offer great deals on policies and are understanding of the difficulties involved with trying to get a policy as an older individual. Some companies even offer policies that start at as low as $1 per day! Compare prices between different providers here and you’re sure to find one that works best for you and see how much you could potentially save.LEARN MORE HERE >>
3. Saving on Your Mortgage with a Reverse Mortgage
A reverse mortgage isn’t technically a discount. Instead, it’s a loan set aside for senior citizens, and it is intended to assist in the paying off of a mortgage. So if you’re in your 60s and still have the burden of a mortgage on your back, a reverse mortgage could be a lifesaver.
The loan amount is determined based on the current equity of your home and does not have to be paid off until you move out of the house or pass away. While it can also provide some extra cash for daily living expenses, the loan must be used to pay off housing debts and can cut off a huge amount from the amount you owe. Reverse Mortgage America helps consumers easily see how much they receive from their home’s equity in either monthly payments or in a lump sum.LEARN MORE HERE >>
4. Save Thousands on Car Repairs
By no means does this apply to all car mechanics, but there are some individuals who can’t help but take advantage of customers who don’t know that much about cars. You may have sent your car to a garage for a routine service, only to be told that you need to replace some expensive parts instead.
With Auto Warranty of America consumers can get full protection for their vehicle for up to half off of dealer prices and save thousands on any major auto repair that you would have had to pay out of pocket. See how much you can get a warranty for as little here.LEARN MORE HERE >>
5. Saving on Medical Costs
Being older comes with its share of medical costs, and your right to healthcare is not one to be taken lightly. Medical care is an incredibly vital part of everyday life, and as you get older, you are more likely to have to be on some kind of medication. This is why ensuring that you’re receiving the funds you’re entitled to from medical insurance is paramount.
There are insurance providers that offer senior discount cards that you can use when purchasing medications from most pharmacies. Be sure to double-check with your regular pharmacy about what senior discount options are available to you.
You can check about any additional benefits and compare lower rates here that you may not have been aware you could get. There could be many more benefits that you are eligible for that you could be missing out on!LEARN MORE HERE >>
6. Hotel Rooms
Plenty of website already offer discounts for regular bookers, but many hotels have an additional senior discount on top of that. The rules required differ – some need you to book a certain amount of time in advance, some are only available if the booking is for a certain number of people, or some need you to book a certain way.
Regardless, there is no harm in calling and asking a hotel about your options. On top of that, you can use the Booking.com website to search for hotels and filter results based on whether or not they offer senior discounts. Here are some hotels that have senior discounts!
- Hyatt Hotels – up to 50% discounts for those aged 60 and over when reserving in advance for two people
- Marriott – 15% discount for those aged 62 and over
- Hampton Inns and Suites – 10% discount when booking 72 hours in advance
- Choice Hotels – 10% discount for those aged 60 and over when booking in advance
- Wyndham Hotels – varying discounts for those aged 60 and over
- Omni Hotels – varying discounts for those aged 55 and over
- La Quinta – varying discounts for those aged 65 and over
- Red Roof Inn – special senior rate for online bookings
- Motel 6 – 10% discount for those aged 60 and over
7. Go Shopping
There are countless stores and shops that provide senior citizen deals when you ask for them. Some outlets only offer discounts for seniors on certain days, some happen only once a month, and the age of eligibility tends to differ based on the shop.
If you’re unsure, ask any staff member and they’ll be happy to tell you if they offer one or not. You can also look for stores that offer senior discounts when you shop online and enjoy privileges right from the comfort of your home. Here are some stores that offer senior discounts!
- Kohls – 15% discount on Wednesdays for those aged 60 and over
- Banana Republic – 10% discount for those aged 50 and over
- Ross – 10% discount on Tuesdays
- Marshall’s – 10% discount on Tuesdays
- Stein Mart – 20% discount on clearance items on the first Monday of every month for those aged 55 and over
- Dress Barn – 10% discount on Tuesdays and Wednesdays for those aged 62 and over
- Goodwill – 10-20% discounts
- Walgreens – special Seniors Day held once a month: 20% discount for those aged 55 and over with a Rewards card membership and 10% discount when shopping online
8. Take a Trip to the Movies
If you’ve gotten a little tired of watching TV at home and want to head out, feel free to catch a movie. Most theaters offer some variety of senior discount, with some of them even hitting 35% off, and others simply offering cheaper ticket prices all around.
Some cinemas have discounts only applicable for certain days or showings, and while you’re at it, you can take advantage of other discounts for the rest of the family, too! Again, if you’re unsure, all you have to do is ask. Here are some theaters that offer senior discounts!
- Regal Cinemas – 35% discount for those aged 60 and over
- AMC Theaters – 30% discount for those aged 60 and over
- Marcus Theaters – $5 tickets before 5:30pm on Fridays for matinees
- CineMagic – 10-25% discount for those aged 65 and over
- Alamo Drafthouse Cinemas – $6 tickets before 2pm for weekdays shows for those aged 60 and over
- Celebration Cinemas – $2 discount on evening shows
- Showcase Cinemas – Senior Wednesdays: varying discounts on tickets, popcorn, and soda
- B&B Theaters – $1 or $2 discount
- Georgia Theater Company – varying discounts
Feature Image Source: Pixabay
Disclaimer: Some of the links are from our sponsors.